The term commonly known as “Murphy’s Law” is an old adage that simply states ….. “Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.”
Let’s take this one step further…..
An “adage” is defined as a short but memorable saying that holds some important fact of experience that is considered true by many people, or has gained some credibility through it’s long use. [sourced from Wikipedia]
I remember some of these adages way back in my younger years (1960’s) that I heard from my parents, and I remember a poster I came across sometime back in the 1970’s that I had taped on my bedroom door as a reminder when I felt pissed off because of something that didn’t go right that things can only get worse. As time went on, it seems that there were always new ones I kept hearing. So begins the “seemingly never ending’ list of adages that fall under the age old, time-tested category affectionately known as “Murphy’s Law“. See how many of these you can relate to.
Let’s begin with the original adage that started it all…..
- Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
And as time went on ….. the “new and improved” version…..
- Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong ….. at the most inopportune time.
Then came this add-on…..
- Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong ….. at the most inopportune time ….. AND ….. it will be all your fault.
And now the latest version that I’ve heard…..
- Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong ….. at the most inopportune time ….. AND ….. it will be all your fault ….. AND ….. everyone will know it.
And the seemingly endless list goes on…..
- A falling object will always land where it can do the most damage.
- The chance of the bread falling with the buttered side down is directly proportional to the cost of the carpet.
- Left to themselves, things tend to go from bad to worse.
- Nothing is as easy as it looks.
- Everything takes longer than you think.
- Every solution breeds new problems.
- No good deed goes unpunished.
- A Smith & Wesson beats four aces.
- Common sense isn’t.
- Interchangeable parts aren’t.
- Fail-safe’s don’t.
- If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.
- If there is a possibility of several things going wrong, the one that will cause the most damage will be the FIRST to go wrong ….. as well as the most expensive to repair.
- No matter how long or how hard you shop for an item, after you’ve bought it, it will be on sale somewhere else cheaper.
- If you lose something that can be replaced, as soon as you buy a replacement, the original will surface.
- If everything is going right, you obviously don’t know what the hell your doing.
- The other line always moves faster, until you change lines.
- In order to get a personal loan, you must first prove you don’t need it.
- Anything you try to fix will take longer and cost you more than you thought.
- If you fool around with something long enough, you will eventually screw it up.
- If it jams – force it….. If it breaks – it needed replacement anyways.
- When a broken appliance is demonstrated for the repairman, it will work perfectly.
- Build a system that even a fool can use, and only a fool will use it.
- Everyone has a scheme for getting rich that will not work.
- In any hierarchy, each individual rises to his own level of incompetence ….. and then remains there.
- There’s never time to do it right, but there’s always time to do it over.
- When in doubt, mumble. When in trouble, delegate.
- Anything good in life is either illegal, immoral or fattening.
- In case of doubt, make it sound convincing.
- Never argue with a fool, people might not know the difference.
- Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.
- If you want something bad enough, chances are you won’t get it.
- If you think you are doing the right thing, chances are it will back-fire in your face.
- When waiting in traffic, chances are, that when one lane clears and you merge into it, it automatically becomes congested, and the one you were just in, clears up.
- Just when you think things cannot get any worse, they will.
- Remember the “Boomer-rang” effect ….. Whatever you do will always come back.
- Any time you put an item in a “safe place”, it will never be seen again.
- Great ideas are never remembered and dumb statements are never forgotten.
- The light at the end of the tunnel is usually an oncoming train.
- Whatever you want, you can’t have ….. what you can have, you don’t want.
- The amount of traffic on the highway is directly proportional to how quickly you need to get somewhere.
- If you go to bed with an itchy ass, you’ll probably wake up with stinky fingers.
- If several things can go wrong, they will all go wrong at the same time.
- Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes to the bone.
- Just because you CAN do something doesn’t mean you SHOULD.
- The mud that won’t come off your shoes on the doormat, immediately adheres to the new carpet you just stepped on.
- Behind every little problem, there’s a larger problem, waiting for the little problem to get out of the way.
- When you really need something, its either not available, or can’t be found. When you don’t need it, its either available, or lays around in plain sight.
- If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you ever tried.
- If your action has a 50% possibility of being correct, you will be wrong 75% of the time.
- The difference between Stupidity and Genius is that Genius has its limits.
- You will always find something in the last place you look
- Those who don’t make decisions can never make mistakes.
And don’t forget “Murphy’s Golden Rule”…..
- Murphy’s Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold makes the rules.
As well as “Murphy’s Extended Law”…..
“If a series of events can go wrong, they will do so in the worst possible sequence.”