Amazingly enough, there are many quirky and peculiar laws still “on the books” (so to speak) in the United States (at least by today’s standards). Quite a few of them are older laws that were never repealed, or long forgotten about as time has passed while others exist for surprising or unknown reasons. A few are simply “bloopers”, maybe due to how they were interpreted over the years ….. It makes me wonder what our lawmakers were actually thinking (or smoking) when these laws were initially enacted ….. who knows? The following is just a sampling of some of the dumb, funny, intriguing, crazy, strange, weird (sometimes even thought provoking) and downright stupid laws we still have intact (although not necessarily enforced) around this country.
So here they are — state by state — for your viewing pleasure – Enjoy 🙂
PS — Please don’t miss the disclaimer at the bottom of this post …..
- It is illegal for a driver to be blindfolded while operating a vehicle.
- It is illegal to marry any animal that is not already a relation.
- Use of motor boats are forbidden on city streets in Brewerton.
- Women are able to retain all property they owned prior to marriage in the case of divorce. However, this provision does not apply to men.
- A person may only carry a concealed slingshot if that person has paid for the appropriate license.
- It is forbidden to push a moose out of a plane which is in motion.
- Stealing snow from a neighbors garden to make a snowman is against the law. Using it for an igloo is acceptable.
- Waking a bear for the purpose of taking photographs is strictly prohibited.
- Anyone caught stealing soap must wash himself with it until it’s all used up.
- Elephants must have a bell around their necks to warn swans of their approach.
- Hunting camels is strictly prohibited.
- It is an offense to manufacture imitation cocaine.
- Alligators may not be kept in bathtubs.
- It’s illegal to mispronounce the name of the state of Arkansas.
- It is an offense to eat cheese on a Friday unless it is accompanied by a large bottle of beer.
- In Fayetteville, it’s against the law to make bats and owls into burgers.
- In Blythe, a person must own at least two cows before they are allowed to wear cowboy boots in public.
- In Hollywood, it’s illegal to drive more than 2000 sheep down Hollywood Boulevard simultaneously.
- It is illegal for anyone to try and stop a child from playfully jumping over puddles of water.
- It is illegal to set a mousetrap without a hunting license.
- In Belvedere, no dog shall be in a public place without its master on a leash.
- In Ventura County, cats and dogs are not allowed to have sex without a permit.
- Boulders should not be rolled on city property in the city of Boulder
- Catapults must not be fired at buildings in the city of Aspen
- In Alamosa, throwing missiles at cars is against the law.
- It is illegal to ride a horse while drunk.
- It is against the law to take horse or pack mules above ground floor of any building in the city of Cripple Creek
- Crossing the street walking on your hands is not allowed in the city of Hartford
- It is illegal to discharge a firearm from a public highway on a Wednesday.
- It is unlawful to walk backwards after sunset in the city of Devon
- Silly String has been banned in the city of Southington
- Animals are banned from mating publicly within 1,500 feet of a tavern, school or place of worship.
- It is a violation of the local law for any pilot or passenger to carry an ice cream cone in their pocket while either flying or waiting to board a plane in Lowe’s Crossroads.
- In Rehoboth Beach, no sand may be taken from the beach. The law states that sand must be removed from body, shoes and clothing before leaving the beach.
- Ugly women must call out ‘Hideous Hag Coming‘ before entering a building where men may be.
- An elephant tied to a parking meter must pay a regular parking fee.
- Hunting and killing a deer while swimming is illegal.
- In Miami, it’s against the law for a man to force his wife to dress as a parrot, even if she is hideously ugly.
- Rats are forbidden from leaving the ships while docked in Tampa Bay.
- By law all signs are required to be written in English.
- It is against the law for bald men to allow sunlight to reflect off their heads and dazzle oncoming traffic.
- It’s against the law for any citizen to attend church on a Sunday unless he is carrying a loaded rifle.
- Onions must not be eaten while driving on a major road.
- A law dating back to 1418 makes it illegal to sink the island.
- All girls under the age of 12 must own a grass skirt and must take Hawaiian dancing lessons.
- Billboards have been banned from the island.
- By law all citizens must own a boat.
- It’s against the law for a person to insert pennies into his ear
- Men from the ‘Orakama’ tribe are not permitted to eat their second wife!
- Cutting off a friend’s head with an axe is against the law.
- Residents are not permitted to fish from a giraffe’s back in Boise.
- In Coeur d’Alene, if police officers suspect a couple is having sex inside a vehicle they must honk their horn three times, and wait two minutes before they approach the scene.
- It’s illegal for a man to give his sweetheart a box of candy weighing less than fifty pounds.
- Snakes have been banned from biting humans on a Sunday … except when it’s snowing.
- You are not allowed to sleep in a dog kennel unless you are a dog in the city of Wallace.
- A man can force any single woman to marry him is he discovers her picking her nose while sitting in a car at traffic lights in Zion.
- Eating in a place that is on fire is against the law in Chicago.
- In Evanston, it is unlawful to change clothes in an automobile with the curtains drawn, except in case of fire in the.
- It is illegal to drive a car without a steering wheel.
- It is against the law for a man to wear his wife’s panties on a Sunday unless he has prior permission from the Bishop in the city of Oblong.
- Roosters must be at least three hundred feet away from any residence if it wishes to crow.
- You can be arrested for vagrancy if you do not have at least one dollar bill in your possession.
- Any person with a puppet show, wire dancing act or tumbling act in the state of Indiana, who receives money for performing, will be fined $3 under the Act to Prevent Certain Immoral Practices.
- Anyone over the age of 14 who profanely curses, damns or swears, by the name of God, Jesus Christ or the Holy Ghost, shall be fined one to three dollars for each offense, with a maximum fine of ten dollars per day.
- Citizens are not allowed to attend a movie house or theater, nor ride in a public streetcar within four hours of eating garlic.
- Residents are not allowed to eat their own severed body parts on Fridays.
- It is against the law to suggest that any of the state laws are ‘silly’, ‘weird’ or ‘stupid’. Doing so on an internet website will result in a fine of $5000.
- It is unlawful to masturbate in front any man who has a very small penis.
- Horses are forbidden to eat fire hydrants in Marshalltown.
- One-armed piano players must perform for free.
- By law, school children are not permitted to eat their teachers.
- Fog has been banned in the state since 1793.
- It’s against the law to annoy squirrels in Topeka.
- Nude woman are not allowed to teach Science without a permit.
- Pedestrians who wish to cross a highway at night must wear tail lights.
- It is illegal for any person to cut off an arm or leg so that they can earn more money from begging.
- When two trains meet on the same track, neither shall proceed until the other has passed.
- Anyone who has been drinking is sober until he ‘cannot hold onto the ground’.
- In Kentucky, it’s the law that a person must take a bath at least once a year!
- It is against the law to stop swans mating in libraries.
- It’s against the law for women to swallow live frogs.
- No female shall appear in a bathing suit on any highway within this state unless she be escorted by at least two officers or unless she be armed with a club.
- Bananas must not be carried in public.
- In Louisiana, biting someone with your natural teeth is considered ‘simple assault‘ while biting someone with your false teeth is ‘aggravated assault’. Biting with a toothless mouth is acceptable.
- It is against the law to use a map while walking.
- It is illegal to gargle in public places.
- Pigs must not be forced to smoke cigarettes unless they are first given a token of affection such as a gold ring.
- While robbing a bank it’s illegal to shoot the bank teller with a water pistol.
- After January 14th you can be fined for still having your Christmas decorations up and lit.
- Due to a law passed in 1827 there is no February 19th in Maine.
- In Rumford, it’s against the law to bite the landlord under any circumstance.
- You may not step out of a plane that is still in flight.
- Anyone over the age of 90 must, on each birthday, publicly apologize for still being alive.
- In Baltimore, it’s illegal to throw bales of hay from a second-story window within the city limits.
- It is illegal for any boy under the age of 16 to wear lipstick.
- It is illegal to mistreat oysters.
- Anyone who wishes to rob a bank must receive written permission from his doctor.
- Cooling one’s feet by hanging them out the window is forbidden.
- It is unlawful to deliver diapers on Sunday, even in emergencies.
- Snoring is illegal unless all bedroom windows are closed and securely locked.
- A woman’s hair legally belongs to her husband, consequently she’s not allowed to cut it without her husband’s written consent.
- Anyone bathing in public must have his or her bathing suit inspected by a police officer in Rochester.
- It is against the law to have a gnome in your garden.
- It is against the law for a lady to lift her skirt more than 6 inches while walking.
- Before a man can ask a girl on a date he must stamp on her left foot twice.
- In Alexandria, it’s illegal for a man to make love to his wife if his breath smells like garlic, onions, or sardines. The wife can, by law, make her husband brush his teeth.
- It is against the law for any woman to laugh at the size of a man’s penis.
- It’s illegal to cross state lines with a duck on your head.
- Children who disobey their parents can have their hair shaved off.
- It is against the law to kill a rat by throwing stale bread at it.
- It’s illegal to make soup from eagles ….. but eagle pie is okay.
- You are allowed to have one illegitimate child but if you have a second, you will be thrown in jail for at least a month.
- In Kansas City, children are not allowed to purchase cap pistols, however, they can buy shotguns freely.
- It is against the law to smoke a pipe through your ear.
- Ministers of the Church must not strike parishioners with a pot that’s larger than 12 inch.
- Women are prohibited from wearing corsets because ‘The privilege of admiring the curvaceous, unencumbered body of a young woman should not be denied to the normal, red-blooded American male.’
- In Helena, a woman cannot dance on a saloon table unless her clothing weighs more than three pounds two ounces.
- It is against the law to throw candy at the President after 4 pm.
- It is illegal for a wife to open her husband’s mail.
- Laughing in public can result in a fine of more that $1000.
- Anyone eating in a restaurant who does not leave a tip of at least 10% may be arrested.
- False teeth made of leather are banned.
- In Hastings, hotel owners are required by law to provide a clean, white cotton nightshirt to each guest. According to the law, no couple may have sex unless they are wearing the night-shirt.
- In Omaha, it is against the law for a barber to shave a man’s chest.
- Anyone walking the streets is required by law to wear a mask.
- Chocolate is banned between the 21st of February and the 8th of April.
- It is illegal to ride a camel on the highway.
- It is illegal for any man to buy drinks for more than three people other than himself at any one period during the day.
- Any car abandoned at the side of a highway is subject to ‘Piracy Law’ and can be claimed by any citizen of the state.
- Cattle must be fitted with a device to gather its feces.
- It is against the law to hang yourself from any tree that’s older than 100 years.
- It is illegal to pick seaweed up off of the beach.
- It’s illegal to sell the clothes you’re wearing to pay off a gambling debt.
- Men wearing kilts must use the female restrooms.
- Birds are not permitted to defecate on public statues. Those that do may be shot.
- By law, motorists must honk before passing another car, cyclist, skater, or a skateboarder.
- In Cresskill, cats must wear three bells to provide a warning to birds.
- It is against the law to stick your tongue into another persons ear with the intent of eating his ear wax.
- Cabbage can’t be sold on Sunday. A special permit is required to sell carrots to anyone under the age of 28.
- It is illegal to wear a bullet-proof vest while committing a murder.
- In Trenton, it’s unlawful to throw any tainted pickles in the streets.
- In Carrizozo, it is illegal for a female to appear unshaven in public.
- Hunting is prohibited in Mountain View Cemetery in the city of Deming.
- Idiots may not vote in New Mexico.
- Men with beards must not bend down to tie their shoe laces in a public place.
- No man may marry his donkey unless they have lived together for more than 8 years.
- By law children are not allowed to attach wings to their arms and fly.
- Citizens are not allowed to greet each other by “putting one’s thumb to the nose and wiggling their fingers”.
- In Greene, it’s illegal to eat peanuts and walk backwards on the sidewalk during a concert.
- It’s against the law in New York City to open or close an umbrella in the presence of a horse.
- In Ocean City, it’s illegal to slurp soup.
- It is against the law for children to pick up or collect cigarette and cigar butts.
- Couples staying in the same hotel room must have beds that are at least two feet apart.
- If a boy sees a girl’s ankle, he must immediately wash his face to remove the evil sin.
- It is illegal for birds to fly south over the state.
- It is illegal to take a deer swimming in water above its knees.
- Monkeys must not be used to deliver groceries.
- Smelly feet were banned in 1926 – Anyone causing a nuisance by having feet that smell may be sent to prison for 6 weeks.
- Beer and pretzels cannot be served at the same time in any bar or restaurant.
- In Fargo, it is against the law for women to be overweight.
- It is an offense to call the governor ‘baldy‘, ‘fat arse‘ or ‘snot trotter‘.
- It is illegal for men to tickle bears during the hunting season.
- It’s legal to shoot an Indian who is on horseback provided you are in a covered wagon.
- In the city of Berea, any animal that is out after dark must have a tail light.
- It is against the law to allow any of your teeth to fall out.
- A law introduced in 1968 forbids women to wear skirts shorter than 4 inch above the knee. Maximum penalty > $500.
- It is illegal to get a fish drunk.
- By a law passed in 1843, it’s illegal to kiss a polar bear in public. Anyone disobeying this law may be hung.
- Running out of gas is against the law in Youngstown.
- Dogs need a permit signed by the mayor to congregate in groups of three or more on private property.
- It is against the law to make “ugly faces” at dogs. You can be fined, arrested or jailed.
- It is illegal for the owner of a bar to allow any customer to pretend to be having sex with a buffalo.
- In Tulsa, it’s against the law to open a soda bottle without the supervision of a licensed engineer.
- Whale hunting is strictly forbidden throughout the entire state.
- A dead person cannot be made to serve on a jury.
- In Hood River, you can’t juggle without a license.
- It is against the law to have a sexual relationship with a chicken unless both of its parents have given written consent.
- It is against the law to use canned corn for fishing.
- No vehicle can be parked on top of another vehicle.
- Any motorist driving along a country road at night must stop every mile and send up a rocket signal, wait 10 minutes for the road to be cleared of livestock, before continuing.
- In Danville, all fire hydrants must be checked one hour before all fires.
- Fireworks stores must not sell fireworks to Pennsylvania residents.
- If a down-and-out asks to marry your daughter, you must allow him to stay at your home for 2 weeks before you are allowed to turn down his offer.
- It is illegal to have over 16 women live in a house together as that might constitute a brothel.
- No man may purchase alcohol without written consent from his wife.
- Any marriage where either of the parties is an idiot or lunatic is null and void.
- If a bird makes its nest in your vehicle, you are not allowed to use it until the chicks have left the nest.
- It is illegal to wear transparent clothing in Providence.
- Pilots are only allowed to fly an airplane in the nude on religious occasions.
- By an act of law musical instruments may not be sold on a Sunday.
- By law anyone who is poor must work free of charge for a rich person.
- Garden ponds must contain at least six fish.
- It is against the law to eat mushrooms while in the bath.
- It is illegal to screen movies that show police officers being struck, beaten or tickled.
- It is illegal to fall asleep in a cheese factory.
- No more than 23 people may live in a single trailer.
- In Sioux Falls, hotels are required by law to furnish their rooms with twin beds only. There should be a minimum of two feet between the beds, and it is illegal for a couple to make love on the floor between the beds.
- It is illegal to drive a car while sleeping.
- It is illegal to drown after 10 pm.
- It is illegal to use a lasso to catch a fish.
- It is legal to shoot Elvis Presley impersonators.
- In Memphis, it’s illegal for a woman to drive by herself – “A man must walk or run in front of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists if the vehicle is going over 5 mph”.
- In Memphis, it is against the law to say ‘The King is dead’ or ‘Elvis has left the building’.
- You can’t shoot any game, other than whales, from a moving automobile.
- Criminals are required to give their victims 24 hours notice, either orally or in writing, and to explain the nature of the crime to be committed.
- If two girls are fighting, it is permissible to tie their hair together until they stop.
- It is illegal to shoot a buffalo from the second floor of a hotel.
- In Corpus Christie, it is illegal to raise alligators in your home.
- It’s against the law for anyone to have a pair of pliers in his or her possession.
- When two trains meet each other at a railroad crossing, each shall come to a full stop, and neither shall proceed until the other has gone.
- In Galveston, it is illegal to have a camel run loose in the street.
- A husband is responsible for every criminal act committed by his wife while she is in his presence.
- Birds have the right of way on all highways.
- It is illegal to wave a white flag near lakes or beaches in case it attracts pirates.
- It is illegal to detonate a nuclear weapon.
- Pharmacists may not sell gun powder as a headache cure in Trout Creek.
- Cars are forbidden from backfiring in Rutland.
- Delivery men must walk backward in driveways of houses worth more than $500,000.
- It is illegal to tie a giraffe to a telephone pole.
- It is obligatory for everyone to take at least one bath each week … this should be done on a Saturday night.
- A man must not kiss a girl unless he is willing to kiss one of her parents if requested to.
- Gay men, by law, must wear a pink flower on their left sleeve.
- Men are not permitted to wear their underwear on top of their regular clothes.
- The statute of The Virginia Code states ‘To prohibit corrupt practices or bribery by any person other than candidates.
- It is illegal to photograph ghosts.
- It is mandatory for a motorist with criminal intentions to stop at the city limits and telephone the chief of police as he is entering the town.
- In Seattle, you may not carry a concealed weapon that is longer than six feet.
- Light bulbs of greater than 60 watts have been banned.
- In Peewee, it is illegal to let your horse fall asleep in the airport.
- It is against the law to watch television for more than 8 hours per day.
- It is illegal to sleep on a train.
- It is legal for a man to have sex with an animal as long as it doesn’t weigh more than 40 lbs.
- Naturists must be fully clothed at all times.
- It is against the law to chop onions within 200 yards of a gay man.
- It is illegal to serve apple pie in a public restaurant without cheese.
- In Racine, it’s illegal to wake a fireman when he is asleep.
- Time travel is against the law.
- Blind men are not allowed to fly helicopters between the hours of 9am and 6pm.
- Junk dealers are not allowed to undertake business transactions with drunks.
- In Newcastle, couples are banned from having sex while standing inside a store’s meat freezer.
- Stupid people are not allowed to take IQ tests.
- Using a firearm to fish is strictly forbidden.
DISCLAIMER: Now that you have finally made it to the end – You must be warned that I will NOT be held accountable or liable for your actions after reviewing this list and contemplating any ideas of experimenting with anything that you have just read here — 😛
Filed under: Amusing & Humorous Observations, Dumb & Stupid Stuff, Facts & Figures, Fun Stuff, just for laughs, Strange & Weird Stuff, Trivia Blast | Tagged: amusing laws, bizarre laws, crazy laws, dumb laws, funny laws, hilarious laws, insane laws, intriguing laws, odd laws, peculiar laws, quirky laws, silly laws, state laws, strange laws, stupid laws, surprising laws, unusual laws, weird laws, wonder why |