When you or someone in your family begins to experience flu symptoms >>> you have 48 hours to take action.
Trust TAMIFLU………. the #1 prescribed antiviral flu medication
For flu treatment: When taken within two days of experiencing symptoms, TAMIFLU works by helping to stop the flu virus from spreading inside the body
For flu prevention: When you have been exposed to someone with the flu, taking TAMIFLU can help keep the virus from making you sick
T A K I N G T A M I F L U
* TAMIFLU is NOT a substitute for the flu shot.
* Vaccination is the first line of defense for flu protection.
TAMIFLU is Effective for both Children and Adults
In flu treatment studies of patients who took TAMIFLU within 48 hours of the first appearance of symptoms:
- Adults felt better 30 percent faster (1.3 days) than flu patients who did not take TAMIFLU
- Children felt better up to 26 percent faster (1.5 days) than flu patients who did not take TAMIFLU
TAMIFLU is indicated for the treatment and prevention of influenza in people 1 year and older.
Flu strains may vary from area to area, so if you are exposed to a strain of the flu that is not the same strain as the one your flu shot protects against, you may still get the flu.
TAMIFLU is a prescription medication for flu prevention and treatment in adults and children aged 1 year and older.
- TAMIFLU is available in pill form
- TAMIFLU is also available in a fruit–flavored liquid form with a dosing dispenser for children 1 year and older and for adults who have difficulty swallowing the capsule.
- TAMIFLU can be taken with or without food. As with many medicines, if you take TAMIFLU with a light snack, milk, or a meal, the potential for an upset stomach may be reduced.
For Flu Treatment:
- Take 1 dose, twice daily, for 5 days
(see TAMIFLU Dosage chart for dose amount)
For Flu Prevention:
- Take 1 dose, once daily, for 10 days
(see TAMIFLU Dosage chart for dose amount)
TAMIFLU Dosage by Age and Weight
|Age and Weight||Pill Dosage||Liquid Dosage
(using oral dosing dispenser)
|Adults and Children
13 yrs. and older
One 75 mg pill
|Children 1 – 12 yrs.|
|33 lbs. or less
(15 kg or less)
One 30 mg pill
|34 lbs – 51 lbs
(16 kg – 23 kg)
One 45 mg pill
|52 lbs – 88 lbs
(24 kg – 40 kg)
Two 30 mg pills
|89 lbs or more
(41 kg or more)
One 75 mg pill
*The 75 mg dose can be measured using a combination of 30 mg and 45 mg.
In the event that the dispenser provided with the suspension is lost or damaged, another dosing syringe or other device may be used to deliver the following volumes:
- For children 33 lbs or less (15 kg or less): 2.5 mL (½ tsp)
- For children 34 lbs – 51 lbs (16 kg – 23 kg): 3.8 mL (¾ tsp)
- For children 52 lbs – 88 lbs (23 kg – 40 kg): 5.0 mL (1 tsp)
- For people 89 lbs or more (41 kg or more): 6.2 mL (1 ¼ tsp)
What to Do if You Miss Your TAMIFLU Dose
If you forget to take your medicine at any time, take the missed dose as soon as you remember, unless it is within 2 hours of your next scheduled dose. Do not take two doses at a time to make up for a missed dose. You can then continue to take TAMIFLU at the usual times.
Taking TAMIFLU with Other Medications
TAMIFLU has been shown to have a minimal chance of negatively interacting with other medications. Your doctor or healthcare professional may recommend taking over–the–counter medications to reduce severity of symptoms while the antiviral action of TAMIFLU takes effect on the flu virus. As with any medication, be sure to discuss with your doctor any over–the–counter or prescription medicines you are currently taking before beginning TAMIFLU therapy. An intranasal flu vaccine like FluMist®* should not be given within 2 weeks before or 48 hours after taking TAMIFLU, unless it is deemed appropriate by your doctor.
Taking TAMIFLU if You Have Kidney Disease
If you have any type of kidney disease, talk to your doctor before starting TAMIFLU therapy. There is a special dosing schedule, as follows, for this group:
- Flu Treatment Dosage — One 75 mg dose, once daily for 5 days
- Flu Prevention Dosage — One 75 mg dose every other day or 30 mg dose once daily
How to Store TAMIFLU
TAMIFLU capsules should be stored at room temperature below 77ºF (25ºC) and kept in a dry place. Refrigerate liquid TAMIFLU at 36º to 46ºF (2º to 8ºC). Do not freeze. As with all medications, keep out of the reach of children.
Side Effects & Safety of TAMIFLU
Rare but serious skin reactions and allergic reactions have been reported. Stop taking TAMIFLU and call your doctor if you experience any of these reactions, as they could be very serious.
People with the flu, particularly children and adolescents, may be at an increased risk of self injury and confusion shortly after taking TAMIFLU and should be closely monitored for signs of unusal behavior. A healthcare professional should be contacted immediately if the patient taking TAMIFLU shows any signs of unusual behavior.
The most common side effects of TAMIFLU are mild to moderate nausea and vomiting. TAMIFLU is generally well tolerated.
In addition, take the following precautions when using TAMIFLU:
- You should not take TAMIFLU if you are allergic to oseltamivir phosphate or any other ingredients of TAMIFLU.
- TAMIFLU is normally not recommended for use during pregnancy or nursing, as the effects on the unborn child or nursing infant are unknown. If you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant or breastfeeding while taking TAMIFLU, talk to your doctor before taking TAMIFLU.
- If you have any type of kidney disease, talk to your doctor before starting TAMIFLU therapy.
- The use of TAMIFLU along with an intranasal flu vaccine like FluMist®* has not been evaluated. However, due to the possibility for interference between these products, an intranasal flu vaccine should not be given within 2 weeks before or 48 hours after taking TAMIFLU, unless it is deemed appropriate by your doctor. The type of flu vaccine administered as a shot through the skin can be given at any time relative to use of TAMIFLU.
As with any medication, be sure to discuss with your doctor any over–the–counter or prescription medicines you are currently taking before beginning TAMIFLU therapy.
IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION
TAMIFLU is prescribed for treating adults and children 1 year and older with influenza (flu) whose symptoms started within the last day or two. TAMIFLU can also reduce the chance of getting the flu in patients 1 year and older. TAMIFLU is not a substitute for the annual flu vaccinations (you should still get the flu shot every year).
Before taking TAMIFLU, tell your doctor if you are pregnant or nursing, or if you have kidney disease, heart disease, respiratory disease, or other serious health conditions. Also, let your doctor know if you are taking any other medications or if you have received nasally administered influenza virus vaccine during the past two weeks.
If you develop an allergic reaction or a severe rash, stop taking TAMIFLU and contact your healthcare professional immediately, as it may be very serious. People with the flu, particularly children and adolescents, may be at an increased risk of self injury and confusion shortly after taking TAMIFLU and should be closely monitored for signs of unusual behavior. A healthcare professional should be contacted immediately if the patient taking TAMIFLU shows any signs of unusual behavior.
The most common side effects are mild to moderate nausea and vomiting.
Filed under: Pills & Meds, Swine Flu/H1N1 Info | Tagged: antiviral flu medication, children & flu, directions, flu prevention, flu treatment, H1N1 Virus, prescription meds, prescription tamiflu, side effects, Swine Flu, tamiflu |